Collegamenti ai contenuti della pagina:
il contenuto della pagina -
il menu di navigazione -
Documents Required for your Stay

Contenuto della pagina

Documents required for your stay

EU citizens do not need a VISA to enter Italy.
Non-EU students residing out of Italy may require a visa to study in Italy. If you need one, before your arrival  you must apply for a study visa (type D) at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
The necessary documents for the application vary so you should check the required documentation.
To find out whether you need a visa, and what documentation you need follow this link.

Visa for Indian Students
The Embassy of Italy in New Delhi is happy to help facilitate the visa process for students to study in Italy.
Obtain a Declaration of Value
Visa Application / Visa Contact
Contact Dr. Valentina Ierna at or +91 11 26114355 for assistance with practices relating to pre-enrollment or study visas.

Codice Fiscale
The 'Codice Fiscale' is a tax identification number which is necessary for opening a bank account, renting privately, bying a SIM cars, but most importantly it is necessary for applying for the permit of stay.
It is free of charge; in order to apply, once in Pavia,  take your passport to:
Agenzia delle Entrate at Corso Mazzini, 18
Open Monday, Wednesday & Friday 8:30-12:30 and Tuesday & Thursday 8:30-12:30 / 14:30-16:00.

Health Insurance
Students have a few options for gaining health insurance in Italy,

For EU students the European Health Card gives access to immediate necessary care under the same conditions as nationals of that country.
For non-EU students a health insurance policy is necessary in order to gain the permit of stay.

  • Option 1: Register with the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale). Registration costs about €150 per year, running from January-December, so please note if you sign up in September you will need to renew your policy in January. The amount will need to be paid at the post office (Piazza della Posta, 1) by filling in the payment form called 'bollettino postale' with the following information.
    • C/C postale no: 379222, intestato a: Amministrazione P.T. Regione Lombardia, causale: iscrizione volontaria S.S.N.
    • Upon recieving the receipt of payment you may apply for the permit of stay as outlined below, and after this you will need to go to the ASL Healthcare Centre ATS Pavia Via Indipendenza, 3, to be assigned a doctor.
  • Option 2: Register for Posta Salute at Piazza della Posta, 1
  • Option 3: Source your own private health insurance.
Permit of Stay
Non-EU citizens staying in Italy for longer than three months need to apply for a permit of stay within 8 days of your arrival in Pavia. 

To do this take the following documents to:

Help Desk for International Students in the Questura (police station)

Via Rismondo, 68
Open Tuesday 9.00-12.00 and Thursday 10.00-12.00
Please note that the desk is suspended until April 3, 2020. In order to ensure the service for the request or the renewals of the permit of stay , students can email and attach their passport with study visa or (in case of renewal) their permit of stay

Documents ( download the documents)
  • Residence Permit
  • Photocopy of all pages of your passport, including blank pages
  • Photocopy of your health insurance policy
  • Photocopy of your enrolment certificate at the University of Pavia*
  • Proof of accommodation*
  • Proof of economic support*
  • 4 passport photos
  • Revenue stamp- €16
* Proof of enrollment: if you are a degree seeker this document must be requested and issued by the students administrative office, if youran exchange student, your nomination letter will include these documents. The nomination letter is issued by the International Relations Office at the University of Pavia*
* Proof of accomodation: photocopy of your house lease or, if guest in one of the colleges, a letter signed by the rector or the bursar of the college*
*Proof of economic support: photocopy of scholarship or bank account details or front and back of your credit card*

Next Steps
  • Take all the papers you filled in Questura to the post office. Currently postal and shipping fees cost about 140 EUR.
  • You will receive an SMS or letter from the police inviting you to the police station to register your fingerprints. When going to the appointment, do not forget to bring 4 passport photos and your passport.
  • The status of your permit of stay can always be checked on the website of Portale Immigrazione (use the username and password that can be found on the post office receipt):
  • Remember to carry with you a photocopy of the application receipt of your permit of stay  - this receipt has the value of a permit of stay until the document is read